Tuesday, October 18, 2016

New York Sheep & Wool Festival (aka Rhinebeck)



  We went to check out the New York Sheep & Wool Festival in Rhinebeck, NY, for our first time this weekend and it was amazing! Sheep, goats, llamas, alpaca, and yarn. So. Much. Yarn!

The festival is held at the Dutchess County Fairgrounds and the fall colors were in full swing with a crispness in the air. The weather was perfect for everyone to wear their favorite hand knit sweaters and shawls; a Rhinebeck tradition. As I walked around, it became a game to name the patterns and yarns I saw on people: “ooh, a TinCanKnits Flax sweater in MadelineTosh; there’s a Stephen West Exploration Station; and she’s wearing Color Affection in Plucky!”

 We met up with friends, made some new friends and perhaps brought home a few skeins of yarn. (No, I did not bring home any baby goats this time.) My favorite new (to me) vendor was Kelsey Stephens at  Primrose Yarn Co. Her booth was busy and her yarns are amazing. This is where I ran into Stephen West shopping and was able to snap a picture of us. Notice he is towering above me at about 6’5”.

 Next year I’m planning ahead and snagging some of those coveted spots for workshops- like basket weaving and beginning wheel spinning. In the meantime, I’ll be working my way through my basket of beautiful new yarn and making a sweater for #Rhinebeck2017.

-Joanna Elsas




No comments:

Post a Comment