Tuesday, April 11, 2017

The Traveling Fiber Artist

I've had the good fortune of having some amazing travel plans in my recent calendar. My travels made me realize how important it is to plan ahead when it comes to packing the perfect project to match your trip. Here are a few things to consider before you are on the go:

-Type of transportation. While knitting needles and crochet hooks are allowed on your carry-on luggage for flights, keep in mind scissors are only allowed if less than 4 inches on domestic flights. Nail clippers are a good alternative option. Check out TSA's list of allowed items: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring. If your trip is mostly by automobile, think about whether or not your travel time will take place during daylight hours. Interior lights or other light up devices may be distracting to your driver. If traveling by bus or train it may be a good idea to find out if you'll have easy access to your bag or if it will be secured away and out of reach.

Crocheting on a plane helps me pass the time. 


-Time allowance. In the past, I found myself overpacking when it comes to yarn. I completely overestimated how much free time I'd have to work on my projects. Try to tally up your travel time and your down time and make a realistic estimate.

-Pattern picking. If you are short on space in your bag, choose a pattern that doesn't require a lot of color change and can be completed in one skein. You can even pick a pattern that can be completed and worn during your trip! The project pictured below was used with scrap yarn I was thrilled to finally use.
Be sure to have a paper copy of your pattern.  While all of the online patterns are wonderful, you never know when you won't have access to WiFi or your mobile device is low on battery power.

Travel projects can be completed in time to wear on your trip. 


-Choosing yarn. When traveling, I try to avoid yarns that tend to shed. No one wants those fuzzies all over their clothes! I like to make sure my yarn is already wound or is one that has a center pull option. Be sure to keep your project free from dirt and stains that might arise during your trip by keeping it in a project bag when not in use. Shop our Project Bags just in time for your next vacation.

-Challenge yourself.  Don't be afraid to increase your creativity during travel time. One of my favorite project packing challenges was successfully making a pair of baby booties and hair accessories on a road trip to the baby shower. It was completed in perfect time from door-to-door.

-Venture out. If I go to a new city, I always try to check out a local yarn shop. Perhaps pack enough yarn to get to the city then switch to a new project with some new yarn on your return trip home.

Checking out the yarn scene in New Zealand. 


Tell us how you like to travel with your projects, we'd love to hear from you!

Warmly,

Sarah LaVoie

Yarns By Design

No comments:

Post a Comment