Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Vacation knitting! T-minus 20 days!

"At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour, but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides and follow the sun." -Unknown

In just 20 short (long) days I will be headed down south to The Outer Banks National Seashore! We will be staying in Avon for 2 weeks, and that will require some prep work for knitting projects! I always over pack, but you never know what you will need, am I right? You never know how much or little time you will have to knit or read. I am guessing I will not have too much time, chasing a 5 year old and 11 month old around... but a girl can dream! 

I have 3 projects to take with me this year! I like an easy, medium, and hard to choose from at all times. Recently, I finished up Andrea Mowry's Weekender sweater, and MAN, I am in a slump after that! It was like reading Harry Potter... so good you don't know what to read/knit next! I was riding that knitting high for weeks after finishing it! I was able to whip up a pair of fair isle mitts after and finished a brioche cowl, but I was struggling to figure out "what next"?... till I discovered Tegna! (side note... I plan to make another Weekender in Brooklyn Tweed Newsprint this fall!) 

Tegna! Ooooh, Tegna! This sweater is beautiful, light weight, short sleeved and perfect for taking to the beach! It has a lace detail bottom which is amazing and hard to put down (I know this because I already had to frog... don't knit lace tired and ALWAYS USE A LIFELINE!!!). It is knit in a fingering weight yarn, I chose Malabrigo Sock in Eggplant, and doesn't take a lot of yards! 2 skeins for me! This will be knit while the kids are napping and I am relaxing on the deck staring at the ocean! As soon as the lace detail is done, it will be a perfect car project! I cannot wait to add this garment to my growing handmade wardrobe, this summer! 

Next is my easy, mindless but not terribly boring, transportable go to project, The Hitchhiker Shawl! This is so great, small enough to travel with, lightweight enough to take to the beach, and Malabrigo Mechita! Enough. Said. I hope to have this done by the time we come back for a boutique sample! The color is Paprika, and I never get sick of looking at it! 

Lastly is my "medium" project. I do not mean medium in terms of difficulty, but more size and transportability! I am going to start Hayward, by Brooklyn Tweed Loft in Soot. I want this done for fall, so I am in no hurry at all. I am taking this to work on in the evenings while watching the Pens in round 3 of the playoffs.... because there will be a round 3 (3elieve!!!)! It's mindless enough for the stress that hockey can cause, and noise level of a giant house full of Pens fans. Unfortunately, it is us just a little too heavy and too big to take on car travels and beach trips when its hot out. Super simple design and construction, plus amazing yarn means I am sold! 


I will be taking all my notions with me as well, and needles, and just about everything (like I said, I am not a light packer!). Fingers crossed some of these projects get some knitting love! I also have a book, but Im highly considering getting it in audio so I can kill two sea gulls with one stone! 
What do you like to knit on vacation? Do you take multiple projects or just one? Let us know in the comments below! 






No comments:

Post a Comment