Thursday, October 11, 2018

Everyone needs a knitting buddy!

"Knitting is sitting for creative people!"

On any Thursday night at YBD you will find the "knitting circle" filled with people from all walks of life. It can get a little bit loud, and can get a little bit crazy (knitters do have a wild side) but it is never short on fun! Everyone brings something different to the table. I have had the privilege of knitting side by side with some of these women weekly for about 10 years! Everyone in this group is good at something different, and we always are willing to help each other out when in need. Sometimes we eat cheese and drink wine, sometimes we go for ice cream or beers after, and a few times a year we whip out a pretty amazing potluck dinner! 



If it wasn't for these ladies, and all of our customers, we wouldn't be YBD! We appreciate each and every one of our "Fiber Friends", and I have chosen to feature a few of them in this blog, and the projects they are working on! 

First up is Meridee! Meridee has been quite the fixture at YBD! She belongs to not 1 or 2, but 3 of our clubs! We refer to her as our "Knitting Engineer". She is incredibly organized, she maps out her patterns on graph paper, and just pays excellent attention to what she is doing. She is also incredibly knowledgeable and we are so lucky to have her! 



How long have you been knitting?
I started knitting in the mid 1980's and stopped sometime in the 90's (probably after my kids were born). I resumed knitting in 2013 by taking a class with Edye. After taking a few lessons with Edye, I joined the YBD Knit Club! 

What is your favorite thing that you have knit?
Tattersall Scarf by Elise Duvekot that I made for my mother.



What brought you to YBD?
My best friend had been knitting for several yarns and when I would visit her in Houston, we would visit LYS's. I discovered YBD when she came to visit here in Oakmont. She had found YBD on Ravelry and asked if we could stop. It was still a few more years before I decided to pick up knitting again, and by then the store had moved and I came in and took a class. I knew what a nice shop YBD is and enjoyed the high quality yarns! 

Currently Meridee is working on Tegna by Boyland Knitworks with the rest of the YBD Knit Club. She is using Hedgehog Sock in Pollen for the bottom lace hem, and Raku for the body. 

Next up is Rebecca! Rebecca not only knits, but bakes (worlds best baker), sews, and rug hooks, just to name a few! She is also incredibly organized with her knitting (this is something I am insanely jealous of because I'm a hot mess express) and is our "Voice of Reason". She always has the simplest and easiest response to our questions. It always has us questioning, why didn't I think of that?



How long have you been knitting?
I have been knitting since 2006. I taught myself to knit via an instructional book. I followed all of the instructions and was making good progress, It wasn't until my MIL asked me, "What are you doing?" Did I know that I taught myself how to knit left-handed? I am right-handed. Knitting became much less awkward  when I switched to the right-handed knitting! 

What brought you to YBD?
I came into YBD  just to see what you had. Little did I know I was to make such great friends and find such great yarns! 

Rebecca is making The Circlet Cardigan by Kerin Dimeler-Laurence in Brooklyn Tweed Arbor, color Vitner. 

Last, but certainly not least, is Cathy! Cathy has been a Fiber Friend of ours for a long time. Outside of knitting, she is an amazing cook, and loves to travel with her husband and kids. She is also one of the funniest people I know! She is a huge supporter of ours, and says on a regular basis "Sandy provides such a beautiful place for us to knit, how could you not support her?" She has been knitting for a number of years, and use to sew as well. Currently Cathy is working on The Weekender Sweater by Andrea Mowry in Brooklyn Tweed Shelter, color Faded Quilt. 


How long have you been knitting?
I knit as a little girl and then picked it up again around 6-7 years ago. That was when I first met Sandy.

What is your favorite thing that you have made?
I love making baby things because you get rewarded so quickly! I am also really enjoying making my current project, The Weekender Sweater by Andrea Mowry! 

What brought you to YBD?
I live in Oakmont and never knew we had a yarn shop! I then stumbled upon an ad for YBD and decided to stop in. That was when I met Sandy, and she re-taught me to knit. It was then I started coming to the Thursday night Fiber Friends group!


If you are interested in becoming a Fiber Friend at YBD, all you have to do is show up and knit! This is a free knitting group and we love having everyone attend. There are two different groups that meet, Tuesday mornings from 10-12pm and Thursday evenings from 5:30-8pm. We hope to see you there! 



No comments:

Post a Comment